Multi-frequency Bioelectrical Impedance Analyser (MFBIA)
Altneratively, you can view our Interpretation of Data leaflet which shows a detailed explanation of the measurements obtained from the QuadScan 4000 unit.
The Multi-frequency Bioelectrical Impedance Analyser, Bodystat® QuadScan 4000 device offers a quick, easy, economical, portable and non-invasive alternative to other methods of fluid assessment and Body Composition analysis, for example, radioisotope dilution, underwater weighing.
The principle of measuring the flow of current through the body (impedance) is dependent on the frequency applied. At low frequencies, the current cannot bridge the cellular membrane and will pass predominantly through the Extracellular space.
At higher frequencies penetration of the cell membrane occurs and the current is conducted by both the Extracellular Water (ECW) and Intracellular Water (ICW).
By using Multi Frequency Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis technology to measure the impedance at 5 kHz and 200 kHz and by applying predictive equations, it is possible to estimate both Extracellular Water and Total Body Water (TBW) respectively and by deduction, Intracellular Water. Extracellular Water can be related to Extracellular Mass and Intracellular Water to Body Cell Mass.
By measuring the impedance at 50 kHz and applying the unique Bodystat® equation Body Fat, Lean Mass and Dry Lean Mass can be assessed. The QuadScan 4000 contains separate Body Composition analysis equations for Children 6 years and over and Adults. In addition the QuadScan 4000 measures at 100 kHz.
Total weight, height, age and gender are required by the predictive equations used in the hardware unit to display the results on the LCD screen. Where it is impractical to determine weight, as in the case of certain hospitalised patients, alternative equations can be applied in the QuadScan 4000 program to calculate Intracellular Water, Extracellular Water and Total Body Water. Alternatively, a constant weight can be used and the trends in change can be monitored over a period of time.
Whole Body analysis, rather than partial body analysis of arms or legs only, is measured for greater accuracy. In addition, alternative equations provide for the proximal placement of electrodes on sternum and knee to potentially monitor more sensitively the changes in fluid levels in the trunk area. Furthermore, the strategic placement of electrodes on the chest area could provide for the monitoring of change in impedance values (hence fluid shifts) in the left and right lung individually.
The QuadScan 4000 Bioelectrical Impedance body composition analysis device measures/calculates:
- Extracellular Water percentage and Extracellular Water Volume*
- Intracellular Water percentage and Intracellular Water Volume*
- Total Body Water percentage and Total Body Water*
- 3rd Space Water*
- Body Cell Mass (BCM)*
- Extracellular Water/Total Body WaterNutrition Index*
- Plus Normal percentage Levels
- Body Fat percentage and Fat Weight*
- Lean Mass *
- Dry Lean Mass *
- Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)*
- BMR/Total Weight
- Average Daily Calorie Requirement*
- Waist/Hip Ratio
- Body Mass Index – Plus Normal Range
- Body Fat Mass Index (BFMI)*
- Fat Free Mass Index (FFMI)*
- Illness MarkerTM
- Impedance Values at 5, 50, 100 and 200 kHz
- Resistance 50 kHz
- Reactance 50 kHz
- Phase Angle 50 kHz
QuadScan 4000 Software for WindowsTM
Sample print-outs of the QuadScan software program can be viewed by clicking on the appropriate language links below.
- Summary Printouts – Deutsch, English, Español, Français
- Body Composition Analysis Printouts – Deutsch, English, Español, Français
- Hydrational/Nutritional Printouts – Deutsch, English, Español, Français
The main program features include:
Body Composition Analysis in a 2-page summary report.
Trend Report, enables a user to track essential elements of Body Composition: lean/fat ratios, fluid levels and impedance values over a period of time. The user can also track changes in Blood Pressure, Cholesterol, Waist to Hip, Heart Rate and Lung Function.
Weight & Activity Manager, allows a user to develop a series of exercises or dietary changes in order to calculate the amount of kilocalories these will burn This adjustment may then be incorporated into a user’s own diet program. The number of weeks to achieve goal weight is automatically determined.
Cardiac Risk Analysis, assessment of health status relating to lifestyle. Factors include exercise levels, smoking, blood pressure, family history, etc. The screen immediately displays the effects of potential lifestyle changes e.g. if a subject smokes 20 cigarettes a day and they agree to reduce their smoking to 5 cigarettes a day the impact on their Cardiac Risk can be seen immediately on the screen.
Alternative Equations, these are available for competitive athletes, children 6 years and over and geriatrics and may be selected as required by the user to determine percentage fat and lean muscle levels to establish a more accurate body composition. Alternative metabolic formulae are also included and the user has the option to select their own percentage fat ranges.
Total Body Water, Extracellular Body Water and Intracellular Water Trend Reports, these reports enable the user to track the changes in a patient’s hydration status and body cell mass.
- Multi-frequency Bioelectrical Impedance unit with Bluetooth for PC communication
- Segmental measurements possible using Illness Marker
- Safe and Non-invasive
- Easy to use
- Lightweight and portable
- QuadScan 4000 Software
- Built-in automatic calibration
- Test results available within seconds
- Battery operated
- High contrast, 2 line LCD display
- Automatic 100 test counter
- Subject data recall
- Actual results & recommended ranges
- Low battery alarm system
- 12 to 24 month Parts and Labour Warranty on a return to factory basis
- Accepts metric or imperial units
- Quality Clearance: CE 0120 Medical Devices Directive and FDA
- Available in English, French, German, Portuguese and Spanish
- Non-invasive Bioelectrical Impedance, Body Composition Analysis assessment
- Non-invasive assessment of hydration and nutrition status
- Assess Nutritional Status of patients on admission and pre-surgery
- Monitor the Illness MarkerTM during hospitalisation – without the need to weigh the patient and irrespective of age, weight, population group
- Monitor Lean Body Mass, rather than Total Body Weight to determine the patient’s response to nutritional supplements
- Determine if weight gain is due to increase in Lean Body Mass or fluid retention
- Able to monitor hydration status
- Test can be performed at the bedside, versus other more complicated and expensive methods
- Quick corrective action can be taken to improve the health of the patient
- Ease of use allows for regular monitoring of status as frequently as required (minutes, hours, days, etc)
- Quick, reliable, cost-effective, reproducible results
- Far more informative than BMI
- Number of measurement parameters can be selected to meet specific needs
- Trend graphs with QuadScan 4000 Software Program, available for quick evaluation for remedial action
- Exact time of measurements recorded by Real Time Clock
The Bodystat® QuadScan 4000 System includes:
- Multi Frequency Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis Unit
- Comprehensive Hardware User’s Guide on CD
- Cable Leads
- 120 Disposable Long Electrodes
- Duracell Batteries AA (6)
- Bodystat® QuadScan 4000 Software Program
(No Annual Licence Fee) with unlimited Telephone/E-mail Software Support
- Bluetooth module fitted to download stored test data into a PC
- Customised Padded Shoulder Bag
- Pictorial laminated Quick Guide
- 12 to 24 month Parts and Labour Warranty on a return to factory basis (excludes lead wires)